THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Thursday, July 31, 2008

yes, it's my third...is that a problem?

I am totally sick with the constant remarks people make. I usually don't let this type of thing get to me, but lately it is so continuous..I cannot help it.
"Oh, when are you due?" The women ask, so sweet and sincere. And I surely reply
"November 30th."
"Your first?" they ask..which is supposed to be a question, but always comes up as more of a statement. They look me up and down and assume .... how could it NOT be my first.
"No, actually..my third." I say...loud, proud and delivered with a smile.
The baffled look of surprise steals all control of thier face and they now appear almost digusted. All joy is gone, including the intent to hold a conversation where I excitedly learn all they have to offer about child-rearing, labor and breastfeeding. Instead I get...
"You don't look old enough to have 3 children."
No, you evil, assuming, contempuous waste of oxygen....I'm probably not!
I am not your average mother of 3.
I don't own a split-level home on a culdesac.
I don't drive a gas-hogging SUV with "my kid.." bumper stickers plastered on the ass.
I don't get pedicures, manicures or even my hair trimmed more than once a year.
I am not 35 years old, with a 9-5 job, a husband who wears a suit and a mother in law who tries to control my life.

But, they do make movies and shows all about those women..
they end up cheating on thier husbands and going f'n crazy.

Are these the things that make a good parent?

Yes, I am young. I'm really young for 3 kids. Infact, I'm still a "college student". I graduated highschool less than 7 years ago. I have only had my drivers license for 8 years and guess what else..
it wasn't until last year that I decided what I wanted to be when I grow up.
I am disgusted with the idea that the idea of a perfect parent must be decided on age first.
Why not ask..
"Do you love your children?"
"Are you teaching them integrity, honesty and values?"
"Will they learn what hard work is all about?"
"What are your plans for the future?"
THOSE are questions I can relate to. Those are questions which I hold answers to. And those questions are more relevent to parenting..not age.

The ball buster is...and this is what I really want to scream at them..


Do you know how nice it is to still have the energy to chase after my children day after day without needing rest, to attend school and earn A's, to run my ass of at work..making the rich richer..without any ill feelings about my current pay rate. To be pregnant happily and healthy, sharing it with friends and family. And also to be the example which friends want to live up to.

And I doubt in 10 years...I could tackle all that.
Not only that, but I may live to see my great-great-grandchildren.
I say...
start early, start young..before the "idea" of what parenting should be gets into your head. Start without a plan and learn as you go. Start based on love, instead of money, pressure to fit in or simply convienence.

ANY mother can be....a beloved "mom."

despite age, apperance or background.
It is a choice and a lifestyle.
Don't they wish they were so damn lucky?

0 comments: